Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Shot at Optimism - or maybe just Distraction

Over the past two - three years I have completed my graduate degree and moved to a small town in which it has proved difficult for me to develop new friendships. However, in that same time frame I have met some incredible women. I believe that I am at that stage of life in which the friends that I have wonderful people and that I am certainly a better person because I have them in my life. I should not be surprised then, that these same women have been unfailingly supportive of me through this pregnancy. They show up with food, they talk about the 'outside world', they let me cuddle their own young children, they remind me how to laugh and they shed a tear with me sometimes, too. 

One such friend, BK, visited me yesterday. She came bearing food, interesting stories and then whisked away to have her hair done (insert my own enviousness of the latter here). She mentioned that she and her sister each follow my blog - which I had figured out about her since she always seems to know my latest update before even visiting (one more demonstration of her friendship fantastic-ness). She also noted that generally negative over-tone of my blog. And although I cannot say for sure, I do not think that she is the first friend or family member to say this. So, I brainstormed for a bit and came up with something that is less negative. 

If I had not ruptured, but for some reason had started to blog about my twin pregnancy, I would write a couple of things at this point (22w5d). 
- I am in belly button limbo. With my first pregnancy my belly button stretched out as I neared the end, but it never popped out. But last night my sister and I agreed that I no longer have an innie, but it is not quite an outie. The inner part is making it's way out, leading me to belly button limbo. My belly button, my sister says, is not longer a button! Identity crisis! 
- My pregnancy 'bump' is larger than I realize. I have loads of maternity clothes from friends. I often take out shirts or camisoles and think to myself that it just looks too big. I cannot imagine my friend ever having worn this, but it is certainly too big for me. I put one on today: it's almost too small. And if I was expecting a full term pregnancy, I would only be just past halfway! 
- My chest is so vein-covered. I know this happened last time, but I swear it is more, sooner, bigger this time around. I look like a water-way map of Canada when I wear a low-cut shirt.
- I am no expert, but my sister and I also measured my fundal height (size of belly) last night. Compared to the midwife's measurement a few weeks ago, I have expanded by about 5 cm. Eek! But, then I remember that I had been in a slouching position, not standing, when she checked. So, I assumed the same position: it only brought me down by about 1cm! I think I am measuring to the equivalent of a 35 week singleton pregnancy! No wonder I have heartburn. 

I am sure there is more, but these were the fun things that I could think of. There you go, BK! 

Facebook status of the day: Distracting self from the countdown - 9 days to viability 

2 comments:

  1. A water way map of Canada? That's funny Nancy. Nice to see your sense of humor a little more in this post. I think BK will appreciate. *hugs* - Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete